Pages

Thursday 9 May 2013

Artist Deathmatch

Last night I had the pleasure of attending my first Art Battle. For those of you who are unfamiliar with the concept: A bunch of artists congregate stake out their space, and then have two hours to make a piece from scratch. they can work individually, or as a collaboration. After time is up, their pieces are immediately put up for live auction.

I didn't do so well, since I was the last piece of the night up for auction, so most of the more generous bidders had already gone home. But it was a good exercise in doing work under a deadline. Most of my drawings take me at least ten hours, sometimes as much as 15. But I was able to pull off something decent in only two hours. With more time, it could have been better, but I was surprised at what I could accomplish in such a short deadline.

I'm hoping this will be good for me in the long run, as I'd love to do my own art for my Light Novel, but don't always have the time for it, so I need to work under deadlines.
The location of the final showdown: Gorilla House LIVE ART

I'll probably go again next week, and hopefully have just as much of a blast and great practice.

The funnest part? My pen exploded while I was inking, and I got two huge globs of ink on my picture. so I slightly changed the picture so my character was holding a kendo stick, let the ink run down the pic, and then turned it into blood stains. Then I changed all the scenery to make it look like there was a window, so the blood was on the window. It challenged me, but I made the pic and had to improvise through some parts.

So, for ten dollars, someone bought some concept art for one of the characters in my light novel. Not bad for a last item, but would have been nice if I had made a bit more. But almost everyone who was bidding had gone home, and for something I threw together in a couple of hours I was just happy to get an opportunity to improve my skills.

***

Also, I finished Sakura-no Pet na Kanojo. I quite liked it. If you get a chance: Watch it.
Currently watching: Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! Also enjoying it.And squeezing it in just in time so I can watch the just announced second season when it becomes available.

0 comments:

Post a Comment